Chapter 23 vocabulary
1. Cardiovascular system-a
collection of organs that transport blood to and from your body cells; the organs in this system include the heart, the arteries,
and the veins.
2. Blood – a connective
tissue made up of platelets, white blood cells, red blood cells, and plasma
3. Arteries- blood vessels
that carry blood away from the heart
4. Capillaries- the
smallest blood vessel
5. Veins- any of the membranous tubes that form a branching system and carry
blood to the heart; a blood vessel
6. Pulmonary circulation- the circulation of blood between the heart and lungs
7. Systemic circulation- the circulation of blood between the heart and the body (excluding
8. Blood pressure- the amount of force exerted by blood on the inside walls of a blood vessel
9. Lymphatic system- a collection of organs that collect extra cellular fluid and return to the blood;
the organs in the system includes the lymph nodes and the lymphatic vessel
Lymph nodes- small, bean- shaped organs that contain
small fibers that work like nets to remove partials from the lymph
11.Thymus-a lymph organ
that produces lymphocytes
Spleen-an organ that filters blood and produces
13. Tonsils-small masses of soft tissue located at the back of the nasal cavity, on the inside of the throat,
and at the back of the tongue.
of gases between living cells and their environment; includes breathing and cellular respiration.
collection of organs whose primary function is to take in oxygen and expel carbide dioxide; the organs of this system include
the lungs, the throat, and the passageway that lead to the lungs.
16. Pharynx- the upper portion of the throat.
Larynx- the area of the throat that contains the
Trachea- the air passage way from the larynx to the
Bronchi- the two tubes that connect the lungs with
Alveoli- tiny sacs that form the bronchiole branches
of the lung